What is the Opportunity?
The Human Resources Generalist is a part time role (~10 hours per week). The HR Generalist acts as a consultative business partner to Bright Hope’s leadership team and staff. The role keeps a pulse on and impacts organizational culture and staff engagement by implementing effective human resource practices and policies, helping to build a positive, Christ-centered culture of engaged staff. Overall responsibilities include full-cycle recruiting aligned with our mission and core values, administering competitive compensation and benefits, payroll budgeting and forecasting, employee relations, policy implementation and employment law compliance. The position works out of the Hoffman Estates, IL office or may be done remotely.
The ideal candidate has an active, personal relationship with Jesus Christ; affirms Bright Hope’s belief statement; has 5+ years of nonprofit HR generalist experience; is a strong communicator, with an ability to listen, understand, and proactively address issues; has the gift of discernment; works collaboratively and independently; uses wise judgement when considering costs and benefits of policies and practices; is able to positively impact organizational culture and employee engagement; and has a passion to make a difference in the lives of the extreme poor.
Our staff includes team members in the US (Hoffman Estates, IL and throughout the US), Bolivia, Haiti, Kenya, Uganda, and Zambia. Knowledge of US and international HR practices and laws is preferred, especially as it relates to working with developing nations.
- Consultation: Consults with the leadership team to share best practices and HR insight, and makes recommendations to the team to enhance existing practices; Keeps a pulse on employee relations and manages staff with professionalism, poise, discernment, wisdom, prayer, and positive action.
- Full cycle Hiring: Leads and administers full cycle staff process, including consultation with hiring managers on job and responsibilities; job description development; posting; sourcing; screening; interviewing; coaching staff on strategic and effective interview practices and questions; generating interview guides; leading debrief sessions; generating offer letters; reference checking; administering background checks; and onboarding.
- Compensation: Conducts periodic market based pay assessments and aligns pay strategies and outcomes accordingly; Forecasts and supports annual payroll budget process; Assesses and administers annual CEO compensation review and presents to Board of Directors.
- Benefits: Leads Compensation & Benefits Committee; assesses, administers, and communicates annual benefits plans.
- Policy implementation: Creates wise and legal HR practices and policies for US and international staff to ensure safety; legal compliance; ability to work effectively; and a fun, engaged workplace. Updates HR staff manual (US & International) every other year or as needed.
- Communication: Effectively communicates and executes necessary changes to policies and procedures.
What is required?
- Personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ
- Alignment with Bright Hope’s statement of faith and core values
- Passion for helping the extreme poor around the world
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources or related field
- Strategic HR planning and implementation
- Experience creating and administering HR best practices, including full cycle recruiting, compensation & benefits, and policy creating and administration
- Consultative and coaching skills
- Communication (written, verbal, multi-cultural)
- Ability to work with limited direction
- Analytical skills
- Relational skills
What is preferred?
- Master’s degree
- Existing experience with BambooHR
- HR experience in a nonprofit setting
- HR experience working with international teams in developing nations
- Experience creating and implementing international HR best practices